Monday 7 March 2011

The shoe that fits one person pinches another; there is no recipe for living that suits all cases

I did an MBTI personality test a little while ago, and it has been quite amusing to look at the results. It sorts you into one of two types in four different categories, so you end up with four letters representing how you fit into each category. Don't get too hung up on the names, the words don't mean exactly what you would use them to mean and it is a gradual scale where people will inevitably have elements of both so, for example, someone who prefers 'thinking' isn't a cold, unfeeling bastard.

The categories are extrovert or introvert - referring to whether you like to verbalise exactly what's going on in your head and make decisions by talking it through (E) or like to stay quiet until you really know what you're talking about, and make decisions by thinking for yourself (I).

Then there is sensing or intuition - if you like concrete information, facts and statistics and are keen on remembering details you're an S, whereas if you prefer to think about more abstract theoretical concepts and look at the bigger picture you're an N (as I is already taken).

Next is thinking or feeling - if you're a T you will prefer to think about things in a logical, sensible manner and value fairness, if you're an F you will be more interested in making sure everyone is happy and value compassion.

Finally there is judging or perception - the difference being whether you prefer to be organised and plan work and play ahead of time (J) or you prefer spontaneity and doing things at the last minute so you don't miss anything which may come up unexpectedly (P).

I am, apparently, an INTJ (feel free to scroll up and see if you agree) which makes me part of the least common personality type - particularly in women, where only 1% are INTJ's. But what I was more interested in when doing this, was what careers it might show to suit me. Interestingly, this personality type is the most common type found in academia (isn't it ironic it took me a couple of attempts to spell that), so apparently I am doomed to be a philosopher after all. I'd better start concentrating to pick up some tips on how not to lecture. Unfortunately, it would seem nearly all the careers which would suit me sound... like not my kind of thing. I would apparently suit being an engineer, lots of different types of scientist, military leader (yeah, exactly), entrepreneur, banker or, hilariously, a computer programmer. It would seem the most appealing of all those means that me and Andrew really are the same person. Either that or I just give up on my convictions and become a teacher. Well, we women do all turn into our mothers...

On a brighter note (not that I consider being like my mother a 'dark' thing), apparently being an INTJ makes me least likely to suffer heart disease, and among the types with the highest income. Also, there's a whole bunch of us in hell - we're the least likely of all types to believe in a higher spiritual power. Seems quite fitting.

Some famous INTJ's? Stephen Hawking, John Maynard Keynes, Sir Isaac Newton and Lewis Carroll. Not too shabby really.

I would recommend doing the test for yourself, as it is very interesting to learn how you work most effectively, but unfortunately the real thing costs money. Unless your uni provides it free, of course (: Otherwise, you can probably get a vague idea of what you might be from my ramblings above. But the real reason to do it? It can be great fun to work out what types other people you know might be. So take a look.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

 
Blog template by suckmylolly.com