Wednesday 9 March 2011

The chief enemy of creativity is good sense.

So I'm sitting here in my university room, surrounded by privilege and good fortune, but all I can feel is indignation about how unfair it is. I'm currently attempting to write an essay entitled 'is the making of art more or less free than the making of craft', but I can't help thinking that art is swiftly becoming one of our most restricted pursuits, and you'd better be a fucking good craftsman if you want to keep doing what you do.

I just read this blog, as linked by the lovely Katie, and it has made me furious. How can art or craft be free if the government is going to drain both of all their resources until they're dried up and ignored by everyone who is choosing not to look at them because they're afraid it will rinse out any money they have left in their pockets?

I'm a philosophy student, at a renowned university and I'm so grateful I made the decisions that I did which got me here. Like being born in 1992 rather than 1994. That was an awesome decision, but maybe I should give my parents credit for that one. But no matter how pleased I am that my tuition fees are in the humble £3000's rather than triple that, I'm still going to be here when funding for arts subjects are cut at university, when pointless subjects like philosophy get what they've had coming for all these years. Why should the government pay for me to write essays on the freedom of art? Where is the value in that?

Never mind that all of these people studied philosophy in some capacity at higher education. Including, I feel I ought to point out, a number of high profile politicians, including Nick Clegg who wrote a thesis on political philosophy and David Cameron who studied Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Oxford.

But you want to know something more ironic that I discovered on Clegg's wikipedia page? He was in the Cambridge student theatre, alongside Helena Bonham Carter.

How can this person make such extensive cuts to arts, all across the board? It's horrifying, and I'm afraid we will see a decline in the things which help to make our culture so rich, which it will take a long time to recover from. As a real fan of Propeller theatre company, and a friend of Katie, the idea of cuts to theatre, and all arts subjects, is awful. And my biggest fear is that it's not going to do the country any good, mindlessly forcing people into unemployment doesn't seem like an obvious solution to a recession as far as I'm concerned.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a little late catching up on your blog, but I agree with everything you're saying! And thanks for re-blogging.

I've decided to pull my finger out and actually write a post for once, which I suppose is a further response to all said here and over at Belt Up's Blog.

 
Blog template by suckmylolly.com