Tuesday 29 December 2009

To send a letter is a good way to move somewhere without moving anything but your heart

I got a Christmas greetings and a chocolate through the post today. Isn't that adorable? My mother appeared in the dining room this morning feeling the envelope to try to find out what I had been sent (everyone loves privacy) and it turned out it was my tutor sending me 'festive wishes'. So as soon as I began procrastinating on the computer I thought I would drop her an email to say thank you. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and maybe a little bit like a suck up. But there you go.


Anyway, is it just me, or is the prospect of post unnecessarily exciting? I'm sure this soon fades when you hit adulthood and all you get is bills and adverts and letters from the conservatives showing our local parliamentary candidate using her child as an advertising tool. But still, right now I can't wait to get post. I'm told this gets worse when you get to Uni, as for some reason this dated method of communication becomes a vital life source, and despite near constant emails. phone calls, texts and even bloody wall posts from all your far away loved ones, you still can't wait to get a letter from your Mum.

So next time I receive a bank statement (as that is the only post I get when my tutor isn't in correspondence), you can be assured I will rip it open with glee, until of course I am once again reminded of the rapid decline of my once substantial wealth. Damn those debit cards.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Becky :) said...

I totally agree, I mean Mum gets post all the time, so when I get some, it's unbelievably exciting.
Even if it is a leaflet from the conservatives, or a letter telling me the chimpanzee I sponsored years ago has now died so I have a new one.
I got my payslip in the post yesterday, that is AMAZING post, it's post telling you you're getting money! Bank statements, not so much.

Anonymous said...

Post is awesome :) Especially when you get back from holiday and look through the mail mountain on your doormat and find that some of the letters aren't for your parents but YOU!! Now that is a nice feeling :)

Word verification: helwtr... hell water? for the internet age? I don't know...

 
Blog template by suckmylolly.com