Tuesday 28 April 2009

Damn, that girl she's scandalous

Feminist: somebody who believes in the need to secure rights and opportunities for women equal to those of men, or somebody who works to secure these rights and opportunities 

Thank you, Encarta ® World English Dictionary.

According to this, I'm a feminist. If I were to declare this at college people would probably laugh nervously or deny it.
No, I'm not a butch lesbian with short hair and piercings. So if this is what you think of when you hear 'feminist' then think again. And while you're at it stop thinking of either of these as a bad thing.

I remember in year 10 I was asked if I was a feminist. Looking around at the expectant, smirking boys, I denied it. I saved my neck from having the piss taken. However, I also conformed to the stereotype so many hold and failed to question those idiots' preconception without a moments consideration. I wish I hadn't.

Sexism is a problem, in both directions. There are plenty of women who discriminate against men (myself included on some occasions) but this shouldn't happen. There are also plenty of women who are sexist - against women. A teacher of mine admitted to selecting a group of 10 from a class, and realising that 9 of those chosen were boys. At that level, maybe it doesn't matter. But things add up.

Consider your use of language. Or at least, typically male use of language.
Slag. Hoe. Slut. Prostitute.
What do these words mean? I realise this isn't an original point, but I fail to see that it makes it any less valid, or relevant, that many men who sleep around are praised. 'Manwhore' is one of the few derogatory male names in this pattern, and even then it is comparatively rarely used. And largely by females, whereas women will often to refer to others as sluts.

Now consider terms for sex. I screwed her. I nailed her. I banged her.
Incredibly violent, when you consider them. But nearly always used by a man in reference to women.

So what of this dehumanising, aggressive, derogatory language? Well nothing, if you choose to see it that way. But maybe you're denying the implicit sexism that is such a common occurrence in our everyday language. And maybe you shouldn't.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

 
Blog template by suckmylolly.com