Wednesday 25 February 2009

It's cool to know nothin'

So I've become totally disillusioned with the education system.
And since I haven't blogged in so long, I thought I'd have a whinge :)

The more lessons I go to, the more I wonder what I'm actually being educated in.
In psychology we regularly have tests in which the week before we are given a model answer, then we simply have to regurgitate it.

Now, as a lazy student I'm all for this. To some extent.
I mean getting really good marks without having to think is awesome, learning stuff is boring but it's worth it if I do well as a result. My problem however is that it's not education. Surely a 16 year shouldn't care about this?
Well we're in college now, optional education. So I would kind of hope they might actually expect us to want to know stuff. Instead we are simply being taught to answer exams in the way examiners want us to. We're jumping through hoops.
When I finally finish education (I intend this to be as long a time away as possible, adult responsibility and all that doesn't sound like a laugh a minute), don't tell anyone, but I actually want to have some kind of... intelligence?
Good qualifications would be a bonus, how else am I expected to conform and achieve all of society's expectations?!
But really, they're pretty meaningless if all they show is that I'm capable of spewing out something my teacher wrote for me and told me to learn. That's not using my brain.

There is far too much emphasis on testing. The national curriculum is all about teaching within rigid guidelines and constantly checking to see who's better than everyone else.
Personally, I'd rather be learning something.

As Moss put it: 'We don't need no education'
'Yes you do, you just used a double negative'

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

 
Blog template by suckmylolly.com